Friday, September 5, 2008

Speech Therapy

When I was in 3rd through 5th grade, I had to attend speech therapy.
But when I was told during Madalyn's kindergarten year, I was devastated that she was going to have to attend. As we went through the first and second years of speech, it was a blessing to have Madalyn attend speech therapy. She is now completely out of speech therapy and you can't even tell she ever had problems.
Loraly has needed speech for quite some time now. I never noticed it because I hear her speak everyday and am used to the way she talks. But when she is talking to others, it gets pointed out to me the troubles she has. So her doctor has informed me for a couple years now that she needed to be tested for speech therapy. I took her last year (when I was pregnant with Sophie) for testing at the local elementary school that does speech therapy for the younger neighborhood children. She wouldn't cooperate (wouldn't talk at all). So the therapist said that it was probably since I was pregnant, things were changing, and we would try again later. She is the same therapist that Madalyn has seen. So we went again today to be tested and Loraly did great! They were in the office alone for like 45 minutes! They came out and asked me to join in. The news when I went back in was not good and very disappointing. She asked me when I had noticed certain aspects of Loraly's speech. Asked several other questions...and then informed me that she thinks Loraly has some sort of vocal cord damage. And wants her tested further at the doctor so she can get a better idea of what needs to happen next.
Kind of scary. We will know more later this week when we see our doctor.

2 comments:

SG said...

You know what, it is scary. Anytime you find out that something might be "wrong" with your baby, it is scary. BUT finding out and addressing what ever the problem is is the best thing you, or any parent for that matter, can do. Every human on the planet has an issue or two. The best thing we can do is to help our children learn to do their best and live their best WITH whatever issue they have because there will always be some issue. Loraly is in great hands: your's, Danni's and the doctor's.. not to mention those of her heavenly Father who loves her more than anyone ever could and will always work for the good to come out of every situation!
I feel for you though! We just never want our kids to have to struggle. Kolby has had to face some things that I hated and took very hard.
It's OK Mom!
She will be OK! :)

Mika Hinson said...

Hang in there, girl. I know it's scary- but we are so blessed to live in a country where things like that are not only discovered, but addressed at such a young age. That is such a blessing!